23 January 2018 / Club News


On a dismal day weather-wise, The Seaweeds completed the season’s treble against the Sports in all competition, keeping a further clean sheet.

However, the match will be remembered for two distinctly differing halves, with Porthcawl’s forward superiority setting the platform for their backs to dominate behind in the first period. This was followed by a distinctly unsatisfactory second spell as the Sports, having lost prop James Harris, opted once again for passive scrummaging whilst seemingly mysteriously leaving two front row players on the bench. This ruse effectively changed the dynamic of the match as the slower ball nullified Porthcawl’s platform and sharp attack to great effect.

The first half saw both packs slug it out with the visitors making a good fist of making Porthcawl work hard to attain their platform and it took fully 15 minutes for Porthcawl to open the scoring. Dynamic flanker Owen Thomas, a workhorse throughout, got the try following an unstoppable forward drive to score wide out on the right. Outside half Ben Thomas, in for the unwell Josh White, landed a super conversion out of the mud and 7-nil.

With a welter of good ball, Porthcawl’s backs tried whenever sensible to make the break, and this almost brought another try when centre Aled Davies’ midfield break saw the ball find Jordan Fox, only for the wing to cut back inside with the Sports defence scrambling back and the chance was lost.

Davies was heavily involved again on 28 minutes, when he took a pass from Owen Thomas, slinking right before and making the space to put fellow centre Gareth Rees over for a great try out at the right corner. Ben Thomas’ conversion off touch split the posts perfectly for 14 without reply.

With five minutes to half-time, the Seaweeds third try evolved from Aled Davies’ deft kick over the onrushing Sports defence, putting the ball in no-man’s land. Fox was off the mark like lightning to get there first, hacking the ball on for Seaweeds full-back Jon Phillips to glide over the by-now treacherous surface and dive on the ball for another well-made try. Again, Ben Thomas’ unerring boot added another super conversion just in from touch to bring the score to 21-0 at break.

The second half was a much-changed affair and when Harris’ departure from the Sports ranks signalled the change in proceedings, the match slid into a mundane contest and without the missing and usually influential Josh Davies to mastermind any sort of comeback, Sports played primarily a driving game upfront, only to find Porthcawl defence, the meanest in the league, more than up to it. Porthcawl did their best to get play going at every opportunity as they strove for the bonus point try and came close on a couple of occasions but the match effectively fizzled out to its end, without further score.

For Sports, flanker and skipper Lloyd Wilson did his best to inspire, with centre Scott Calicott the pick of their players behind.    

Leon McNally, Tim Lunn, Nick Nutman and Owen Thomas shone for in the Porthcawl pack, whilst Aled Davies’ great experience and all round game made him the stand-out player behind, with scrum-half Morgan Keylock and full-back Phillips ably supporting. Porthcawl, with matches in hand, return to league action on the road on Saturday, as they visit Briton Ferry, the first match between the clubs for a number of years.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments